Old 04-29-19, 03:52 PM
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
A final tought, @johnnyace was at the front of our little gruppetto for a good period of the day, wearing non-cycling shorts and a pair of deck shoes pushing some rat trap pedals, no clips. All day we were passing grillion dollar plastic bikes. There were a total of maybe two hills, each was maybe 100 feet of climbing. I passed someone in full lycra pushing an expensive plastic bike, and it was all I could do to not ask "how much did you pay for that thing?"

The first mile or so was treacherous, big groups of bikes wandering around on the road. A quarter mile in I saw a woman on a brand new bike laying down sideways, clipped into her pedals, not knowing how to get out. I think Johnny stopped and helped her out. I believe it's a huge disservice overselling beginner cyclists and making them think that they need to have clipless pedals to ride a bike. From what I saw it appeared to be that way.

We saw a nice LeJeune, a Della Santa, and a Jack Taylor tandem that I'd seen before two years ago when we rode this thing, but other than that it felt that we were singularly holding down the C&V fort out on the course.
On the Tour De Lopez on the 27th it was mostly new century bikes, I spotted two Rivs during the ride and what I think was an 82 Fuji Supreme as I was walking back to the parking lot, that said I did notice a handful of old steel MTBs on the course. Since we had to A) arrive by ferry and B) get routed to packet pick up about 1 mile in it broke things up quite a bit and there were 4 routes so that staggered things too. I really don't miss STP style mass starts or trying not to fall while clipping out of my clipless pedals, I was the person on the ground a time or two . No Monster cookies but there was a beer garden with local brew.