Old 04-29-19, 04:52 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973 View Post
I bought a very grungy Park TS 2.2 chrome model from a LBS for $100 and got the QBP price for a Park rebuild ki, about $22. The stand cleaned up well and the kit rebuilt it to like-new functioning. I calibrated it with a trued and properly dished wheel and centered the caliper assembly, however I won’t rely on this. I recently completed the Professional Repair and Shop Operation certification course at the United Bicycle Institute’s Portland campus. During the wheel building segment, the instructor demonstrated centering a previously calibrated TS 2.2 with the Park 1554-1 centering gauge. Then he inserted a variety of trued and dished wheels in the TS 2.2 to show that the calipers would not equally center depending on the design of the wheel. The only wheel where the centering held was a front wheel with round locknuts. Rear wheels and wheels with the common hexagonal locknuts were all off to some degree. In class, we used sections of spoke inserted in the caliper mechanism to offset the right or left caliper, i.e. get it out of the way, and we used only one side of the caliper pair during truing, choosing the right or left caliper as needed. Centering the wheel was done exclusively with dishing gauges, in this case with VAR 143 gauges, beautiful tools that are fast to use. Unfortunately, they are not in production and are quite expensive on the used market. Since returning home, I have been using a Park WAG-4 dishing gauge and have come to appreciate the fact that I can dish a wheel with the tire on and also dish a wheel with the WAG-4 while the wheel is in the TS 2.2 (or on a bike, for that matter).
Exactly the way I have always done it, right down to the same dishing tool. I've worked in a shop that had a Park dishing tool, and it's much more cumbersome to use compared to the fantastic Var tool.