View Single Post
Old 04-30-19, 04:51 PM
VTtrailrider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice please on hybrid purchase

I'm new out here and realize that my question may be old hat, but I still would appreciate some advice. My son (16) needs a new bike and I am fairly sure that I'm going to get him a hybrid. I have a question about what "level" to be looking at.

First: we live in the Green Mountains of Vermont and have all kinds of options around us. We're not going either hardcore road or hardcore mountain with this bike; we're recreational bikers. We're looking for a bike that can do a bit of paved road, rail trails, dirt roads, and some relatively light wood trails. Our go-to in the summer for a quick and pleasant hour or two is the local rail trail, and we have a fine hilly logging road behind our house. I'm thinking that a hybrid is the way to go.

After a quick visit to the bike shop, I can get an entry-level hybrid for about $550 but can then move up the ladder to a $1200+ bike. I understand that obviously the more expensive bike will be a ... better bike. Better components, etc. I get that.

Here's my question: Will we be primarily getting better performance with the $1200 bike or will it extend the range of what my son can do? I don't need to spend an extra $700 for better gear ratios or easier climbing for a 20 mile rail trail ride or dirt road. (He's 16; he can deal.) But if the better components mean that we can take it on rougher terrain, or have an easier time on paved road, then I would pay that in a second.

I can name the bikes I'm looking at, but I really don't want to get into a discussion about different bike makers, etc. I'm curious if folks think a hybrid is the wrong way to go, but I'm mostly curious what I would be getting by spending more on a hybrid.

THANK YOU!!