View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 07:16 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by carfreefamily
I haven't been following the thread closely enough to know how much you are doing with your AG hub, but I can say I spent a good deal of time, after cleaning all the innards and repacking the bearings on mine, trying to get the bearings adjusted. It's the same old story that tightening the locknut seems to tighten the cone a little bit, and it's hard to gauge everything because of the dynohub. I've read that there's supposed to be a little bit of play, so I aimed for the smallest little wiggle to the hub when I rock the rim back and forth, that I could detect. It took many, many tries.
This has been my experience. The dynohub makes it a bit difficult to see where you are at (especially the innermost lock ring that adjusts the cone on the dyno side). How much resistance ought there to be when I rotate the assembly? I'm figuring that if it doesn't bind, and you can't feel too much tolerance, it should be OK. Getting to that adjustment and then tightening the locknut is tricky. The videos are very helpful.