Old 05-02-19, 06:36 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't get the stolen bike market when it comes to medium-priced bikes

By medium-priced, I mean any bike that cost between than 500$ and 4,000$ new.

A couple of years ago, I was trying to buy a second-hand triathlon bike or aero bike. Last year, I was trying to find a second-hand cross bike or gravel bike. The market was extremely thin. I need an XL frame, which is not the most common, but still. I tried every website and bike shop I could find, including Craigs List for big metro areas within 100 miles of where I lived (including NYC). Nothing. I could not find a single bike that was close to what I was looking for. I'm lying, I found one Specialized Venge. Add that's it. Just ONE and the price wasn't worth the risk of buying a used bike. If you are looking for something specific, it is extremely hard to find used bikes for sale.

Now I am trying to sell a Trek Crossrip 3 (I will post an add with the price later on on the sales sub-forum) and I am getting an impression that it is also very hard to sell a bike. Especially in the mid-price range. (I guess if this was a 5,000-10,000 bike and I was asking for 1,000 + 200 shipping cost it would be relatively easy to sell.)

Which makes me wonder, where are all the stolen mid-priced bikes? How do the thieves sell them? How do users buy them? It is a complete mystery to me.