View Single Post
Old 05-06-19, 04:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Tubular tire users suffer mightily

but maintain a code of silence, to preserve the mystique.
I suffered 25 years? Didn't even notice.

Good tubulars have "the ride" that only the very best clinchers/tubeless can get close to. I call it the magic carpet. They corner absurdly well. (Look at the bank angles in photos of any '70s criterium.) And there is a level of security I don't feel with any other tire - knowing that no matter how fast I am going, if I flat, even have a full front tire blowout, I am going to be able to use both brakes and ride the bike to a stop. (Assuming no melted glue. You gotta pay attention.) I've done it going 45 downhill. Heartstopper but that was all. I blew out a clincher at 25 to a crash that made my top-5 list.

When my house roof is paid off, I will probably make the move back to tubulars - for the security going down big descents. (The easy way to justify the expense of the magic carpet tickets.) I will have to relearn what tires are those carpets. Technology has changed things a lot; I suspect flat-wise for the better.

Ben