base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
That's exactly it!

Seriously, Abe_Froman is on it. Simply put, you go out and train based on what your FTP is. You don't have time to fart around uploading all kinds of rides for 6 weeks waiting for Strava to tell you what you already know. It's race season, and every single ride I do right now, is based on FTP.
No. You don't have to *wait* 6 weeks. Just go out & hammer down until your eyes bleed. It'll use that ride as the best effort for all data points that ride is the superior wattage. If you weren't as strong as 3 weeks ago, then 3 weeks ago still reigns supreme then drops off as it ages. If you are stronger than 3 weeks ago that current eye-bleeding best effort is your current value.

The algorithm just pulls the highest values available from the last 6 weeks of data to establish your current functional threshold.

Fwiw: There is 2 lines on the graph so you can reference the last 6 weeks to last year, last year to the year before, the year before to the last 6 weeks, etc...each has an estimated FTP based on actual measured values.

Is Summit & a power meter really so hard to understand? It's all based on the Coggins algorithms with actual measued values from a data set. Just like all the other Coggins inspired & sourced tools.

It's only a useful tool if you use it. It's only as good as the data set you feed it.

I, for one, appreciate that 1 hour mountain pass climb or 60 minute out & back being automatically pulled for FTP calculations as it means I don't need to specifically set aside a date/time on a schedule to establish useable metrics.

It's your data. Leveraged.
Likes For base2: