View Single Post
Old 05-11-19, 06:22 AM
Scott P

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been riding the MS150 since 2015, so I am relatively new. In 2015, we were a team with no tent in Austin and most of use were first year riders. We had no idea what to expect or do when we got there. I had no idea how to navigate the grounds. We ended up stopping at a burger joint on the way home. In 2017, it was the headwind year. Again, first year of a new team with no place to arrive. I rolled in at about 4:30, exhausted. We left pretty much right away to get home for the kids. Another year when I had no idea what to do. In those two finishes, I never even got the token bike shot with the capitol building in the background. I did take out an orange cone when someone slammed on her brakes in the narrow barely big enough lane for one bike on the approach to Austin.

I don't mind the COTA finish. I don't have years of history in the ride. I'm not a Texan native, so finishing in the state capitol doesn't hold some great esteem with me. Sure, parking last year was a nightmare. But, that was largely addressed this year. The exits only allowed one lane of traffic onto the road, so there is a natural bottleneck. Maybe next year they'll figure out traffic flow out of the parking spaces and lanes. I was given with the team captain tag last year, so my main concern is making sure our riders all have an enjoyable ride. As long as they have a place to go to in LaGrange and COTA that has seating, food and drink, I am happy. One thing I really enjoyed was the area to setup pop up tents for the small teams. Our support arrived at 7:00 in the morning to secure spots and was already the third team there. Team tents are a huge expense for small teams and giving us a spot was very helpful.