jdsyachts

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7900, Sun EZ Tad 3, Canondale F400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi all,

I think after a lot of uncertainty and experiments I am finally ready to buy my first new bike (all others have been Craigslists and handme downs)

I narrowed it down to something steel framed ( I want it to last , looking for a bike for life here ) that can handle fireroads and the rough bad pot holed roads where I live while being fast on pavement, I wanted disc brakes and a 1 x drive train .I wanted something fun and sporty yet comfortable ,not an all out race bike or a cyclocross rig . Also 650db wheels with those big tyres were a consideration.

Touring capacity was not important as my current bike is a dedicated tourer.

The Kona Rove ST seemed to fit the bill but then I came across the Ribble 725 CGR and fell head over heels . Its the same price as the Rove but with a step up in groupset , Reynolds 725 over Kona chromoly , hydraulic brakes over mechanical and through axles on both ends.

There is one issue , the Ribble CGR has a carbon fork .I'm not sure if carbon is for me. I have heard it breaks easily e.g if the bike falls over and that carbon doesn't stand the test of time .

I'd happily take the weight penalty of a steel fork for it's durability .

Could I end up searching for a through axle carbon fork for a tapered steerer and then have to paint it to match the bike because the original has a small crack in it after a light crash ?

Are there any other steel frame and fork options that would suit my needs ?

Is carbon all that bad if the bike is treated well?
Some time ago I saw a test of carbon vs aluminum handlebars. Carbon came out well ahead in cycles before failure. Load carrying capabilities were about the same. You can get all carbon forks or carbon with aluminum steerer post. Strengthwise carbon performs very well.
I like the dampening you get with a carbon fork. Just my opinion.