Old 05-13-19, 03:09 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Full sized, DSLR camera strap

Now I have a full sized camera. A few years ago, I saw a blog post from a photographer that was using a BlackRapid sling strap. The small side strap keeps the shoulder pad from slipping.

I think this strap allows the camera clip to be locked in place, then unlock it and slide it up the strap to take pictures.

He had a photo of his large camera hanging upside down by it's base cliip, sitting in the small of his back on the strap, while riding his road bike.

BUT -- he followed it up a year later saying he no longer used it. I guess it really didn't work that great.

A full size DSLR or mirrorless isn't easy to carry on a bike. Even if it stayed perfectly in place, it's still heavy and likely annoying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

backpack or belt clip

I have this Peak Design Capture Clip. The clip is attached to my day pack strap. The square base is screwed onto the bottom of my camera.

Walking, I just slide the base into the clip, it locks in. (but some users have reported dropping the camera when they were in a hurry and didn't actually slide it in. I don't let go of the lens barrel until I hear the click, and look down to make sure it's in.)

It takes two hands to remove. My left hand holds the camera lens barrel and lifts the camera. My right hand pushes the unlock button on the clip -- I can't quite hold the camera securely and press in the release with the same hand. Now slide the camera upward out of the clip -- easy.

The camera sits pointed down along the strap. It doesn't bounce around or swing out if I step over rocks or move fast. Way better than a neck strap.

I don't think this would work too well on a bike. And I'd have to stop riding to take a picture. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

~~~

I considered this Spiderlight clip. Using a ball and socket, it's fast and foolproof to latch on. The ball ended hook balances the camera very well, hanging horizontally. Downsides: expensive. The camera base piece is big, and might be in the way for holding the camera or setting it down.

I can see it would be perfect for action photographers, fast to clip or unclip.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-13-19 at 03:30 PM.