View Single Post
Old 01-26-06, 12:55 PM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey JAMIS -- sucky paint problems

Again, a Jamis Nova issue--and judging from online reviews of the '01 model, a persistent one.

the Nova LOOKS really nice-- green, silver, and black paint with a pimping glossy clear-coat, but after a week of normal (no trail-bombing) mixed road-and-path riding, it has more chips in it than a bag of lays--ALL the pressure points have chips (BB bracket, rear and front dropouts, seatpost collar), as well as several on the main tubes and stays.

The question: as the Nova is Reynolds steel, I assume the chips will result in rust and frame deterioration over time. As I'm trying to make this my long-term primary bike, does anyone know what the best way to cover up the chips would be? Testors model paint? car wax? clear nail polish? Do bike companies issue touch-up paint?

I don't understand for the life of me why a company putting out a bike model explicitly for the mud-and-destruction world of cyclocross would choose such fragile paint.