Old 05-15-19, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I've become a creature of MUPs and similar who mostly avoids roads. However, one of my paths has a couple of miles explicitly placed on the at least half (and often full) lane wide shoulder of a state highway signed at 50 mph or so. Initially I hated this, but I've come to be reasonably comfortable there - speeds are fast, but someone would have be be negligently driving *fully* in the shoulder to put me in danger.

I was doing a little virtual tourism of a ride I probably won't do, and noticed a stretch of a similar state highway with a wide shoulder, though in contrast to the bike signs on the one I am familiar with, I don't know if it's actually legal. When I went looking on Strava, it seems people take a winding, woods-edged country road instead. I don't think I'd be comfortable riding that, as it requires drivers to recognize my presence, wait for an opening with good sight lines, and then pass with enough space.

This is mostly an academic question as I'm probably not going to ride either (especially as in the last 1/3 of a mile the country road stops and the highway loses its shoulder).

But is my thinking reasonable, that faster traffic not normally in the "lane" I would be riding in, is perhaps less of a risk than somewhat slower traffic traveling in the same space I would be occupying? I realize there's a lot more energy in being hit at say 60 mph vs 40, but I feel like the probability is much lower.
I regularly ride on both of these types of roads. Generally, if there's a routing choice, I love a fast road with a wide breakdown lane, because I can usually go flat out without interruption for hours. I don't mind a lightly trafficked winding narrow country road, but if it's busy, I feel like it gets dangerous pretty quick. Also, around here, the narrow country roads are the last ones to get potholes repaired, so it's definitely slower going. On the other other hand, the scenery on the winding road is usually a lot better, and it's often nice to hear birds instead of vroom vroom.

Many of my rides are a combination of both of these types of roads.