Old 05-16-19, 09:42 AM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7005 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
1. USA should definitely develop HSR. Long past due. Time was (a long time ago), rail opened up The West. It's still a key shipping modality.

2. However, there are forces working against. Established investments in auto/roads. Extremists on both ends -- you'll get squawking from both lefty environmentalists and righty individualists. Including cyclists -- imagine the uproar when everyone's favorite rail-trail is up for closure for conversion back to rail use. The fact that most rail rights of ways have been reverted. Ford recently said they are not a car company, but a transportation company. That's a move in the right direction -- if rail is ever going to pick up steam, it's going to need financial incentive to do so.

3. Texas is way too big, east-west. One of the first HSR routes I'd run if I were King would be Jacksonville FL to San Diego CA, along I-10. For those without a sense of scale, map the distance from Jacksonville to Houston, and then from Houston to San Diego...

4. The problem isn't roads and traffic, it's drivers. Over in P&R, there's a thread about an Exxon study from 1982 which tracks the increase in atmospheric CO2 fairly accurately. I checked, and world population went from 4.6billion in 1982 to 7.7billion today. The problem is people. If we don't rein in population and scale it back to sustainable levels, it will be done for/to us...