Old 05-17-19, 12:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like it might be a media card format issue. Whenever I insert a new media card in my video camera (Ion Speed Pro) it misbehaves, often stopping recordings randomly.

The only fix I've found is to reformat the card while it's inserted into the camera, with the camera connected to a computer via USB (or other appropriate cable). Do a full format, not the shortcut version. Repeat two or three times if necessary.

Once the media card and camera seem to be getting along, let the camera record continuously -- just set it anywhere in your home and let it run until it stops. Check to be sure it's recording as expected, with the run time as expected.

Then I'll hook the camera up to a USB battery and let it run until the media card is filled (takes awhile with a 32 GB card). Check the files again to be sure it's recording as expected.

After that it should continue to record reliably. However -- and this is critical -- never format the card again. Delete the old files, but only while the camera is plugged into the computer. Never plug the media card (usually with adapter) into the computer and delete files from there. It's okay to play, copy or transfer files that way. But don't delete. Do all formats and deletions inside the camera, via USB cable.

It shouldn't be this picky, but that's just the way some digital devices are. It's been that way since the first generation Olympus consumer grade digicams in the late 1990s with those sorta-floppy smart media cards, and it hasn't gotten any better. Same with my various media cards for my Nikon pro and consumer grade digital cameras, Olympus, Fuji, Ricoh, etc.

Some camera/card combinations are very picky. Doesn't matter whether it's SanDisk, Lexar or generic or cheap media cards. I've seen similar problems with all media cards and cameras, but pretty randomly. Some cards will work only in one particular camera. I have a media card that will only play nice with my desktop PC but not my laptop. No idea why. No amount of reformatting, and the other steps I've described, has made any difference. I have an older 1 GB SanDisk CF card that will not work in my old Nikon D2H, and never has, but will function with other Nikons and cameras that took CF cards. SanDisk couldn't explain it either. By the time they concluded it was a mystery, the 1 GB cards that original cost $100 had been discontinued and I could buy better, larger capacity cards for a fraction of the price.