Old 05-18-19, 04:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
No, I do indeed need that Park tool. My BB adjusting cup, non-drive side, has a rectangular protrusion that that wrench fits right into and the notch in the the tool allows it to slip through the axle to adjust the bearing without pulling the crank. I will also need the hooked spanner included with the Bikehand kit to loosen and tighten the BB lockring which is knurled with small notches around it.

For the most part, selecting your bicycle tool kit will be most critical with regard to the bottom-bracket design you have. If you have a cassette instead of a freewheel, you may yet need another special tool. China mountain/road bikes like mine usually have a freewheel.
I've worked on cups like that. In my experience, a special tool isn't needed unless the cup is good and stuck. The distance between the flats is just a bit more than the diameter of the axle, so you can slip a big Crescent wrench over the whole thing and get some purchase on it. And, since it's the adjustable cup, there's no real torque involved unless the threads are rusted and frozen. I've dealt with persuading stubborn cups by holding the wrench on with a large socket or washers and a bolt, and giving it a good whack, or leaving the wheels on and pushing down with my foot.

That's a case of wait and see if you really need the tool.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 05-18-19 at 04:58 PM.