Old 05-20-19, 11:03 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 2016 Giant Liv Rove Lite, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by biketube guy View Post
Hi Korina, I would definitely check a tube that's been in your pouch more than 2 years, and probably replace with a freshie to be safe. There are varying qualities of tubes, often the cheapies have additives in the material. Tubes are made from butyl rubber, a synthetic rubber, which has a good shelf life and is fairly resistant to ozone attack. I wouldn't bother with airtight containers unless you're talking really long term, but it couldn't hurt. The most important things you can do is keep them away from direct sunlight and oils, and protect them from sharp objects in your tool pouch, where vibrations can damage them. Biketube Brand's TubeSock is perfect for this application (shameless self promotion there!).
Thanks, biketube_guy. My overly cautious husband makes me keep them in a baggie in my seatbag, and after the fifth puncture on my bike's stock tube I went ahead and used the spare; so far, so good. I'll put the new spare in another baggie.

ETA: And I'll give it a dusting of baby powder.