View Single Post
Old 01-26-06, 03:58 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a solo adventure so in that sense it is not a big ride. The distance is big.... maybe too big.
I am in the planning stages for a ride late this summer... after labor day. The rough plan is to ride from my place northwest of Portland, OR to the coast on Hwy. 30 through Astoria. Then south along Hwy 101 to Florence, OR. Then to Springfield via Oregon hwy 126 and from there north through the Mohawk Valley to Sweet Home. Then a short jog west to Lebanon and north on the Cascade Highway to Silverton. From Silverton, north on Oregon hwy 213 to Portland and west on Hwy 30 to home again.
The total distance is about 430 miles which I will try to ride in 50 to 75 mile chunks. I will stay in motels and not carry any camping equipment. Somehow coffee just doesn't taste right when it's cooked over a cigarette lighter that wants to be a stove when it grows up. I haven't worked out all the details yet but will probably stay over in Astoria, Garibaldi, Lincoln City, Newport/Waldport, Florence, Springfield, Lebanon and Silverton. I might stay an additional night in the Oregon City/ West Linn area, depending on where I cross the river.
I will ride the bike I am building now; a fixed gear/single speed Kogswell G58 and will probably put a freewheel on the flip side in case I need it on some of the longer climbs like Cascade Head north of Lincoln City and Hwy 30 from Rainier to Clatskanie. It would be better to be able to coast down those two. And then there is the stretch through the Coast Range on Hwy 126 which is a lot of up and down but not any really long grades.
Of course, I reserve the right to bail out at any time but for now that's the plan.

Dogbait