Old 05-22-19, 06:59 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Grinstead
Thankyou for some of your kind replies. i have not been able to get to the forum for a while so rest assured i am not scared off. . Let me try to give you some more information to chew on although i suspect my legs are just tired and cant work hard enough to get my HR up so i am resting for a while and i shall see in a few days time. However here is a bit more i can give you.
I am 55 and my max HR was 155 and still is i think with my FTP at 236 W. however i am no climber as with that FTP i am 14 stone but i like to think a quite fit 14 stone . On the flat i can hammer along nicely but as per big guys the weight draws me back on the climbs.
But this should make little difference to how my heart should react and obviously trying to get up the incline should increase my hr as it did last year at around 150 but this year on the same course it just plateaus out at 135?. The wattage to climb this section is the same as last year but with a higher HR last year.
So one could say that i am fitter than last year and looking at my flat times they are quicker than last year. But it is strange to me that the times going up that hill are slower and i blame this on my HR just flat lining at 135.
So it flat lines at around 130sh on the flat but more power is being put down and so faster speeds than last year but hit that hill when last it would pop up to 155 and get me up at a quicker time no matter how much power i am trying to put down it flat lines at 135sh. It's as if this year i am on beta blockers . It is annoying as i know i have more power but the heart just will not pump enough blood to my pins.
It is the same on the turbo by the way where no matter what power i put down it plateaus out at 135??
Although one thing did cross my mind that recently i have not been doing any VO2 workouts which can be lost so easily at my age but i would not have thought by so much

many i have spoken to say this could be a good or a bad thing so rest is required and see what happens when i try in a few days
You aren't mentioning cadence...

Are you spinning away on these hills to lower the effort on your legs?