Old 05-22-19, 01:41 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad View Post
Why remove the factory lube? It's the best lube your chain will ever see.
I've read this many times and I believe you.... but....I really wanted to try waxing. Ultimately the factory lube will require re-application of chain lube. I am trying to keep a clean looking drivetrain and was hoping to not have to remove my chainrings and cassette for cleaning as often as I used to (which for me was at least twice a year).

In order to use the chain waxing method I am trying, Molten Speed Wax recommend cleaning a new chain to permit the best penetration of the wax. This is my second year of using the wax and my results so far have been good for the most part. I'm not sure that my chains are lasting any longer than normal though.

Advantages: 1) chain remains clean to the touch. 2) re-application of the wax is quite simple, allowing use of a 2 or 3 chain rotation when used with quick links, Park Tools chain link pliers and my mini crock pot with the Molten Speed Wax. I am on my second year of waxing and still have only used less than half of the one pound package of granules. 3) When freshly applied, the chain runs very quiet and efficient (at least for a few rides).

Disadvantages: 1) increased noise compared to wet lube. After about the 3rd ride I believe that the wax starts to flake off creating less wax to mute metal to metal contact during normal riding. The noise is most noticeable under high torque conditions such as seated or standing climbing in the smallest front chainring. 2) some would say that the application method has too many steps - this is debatable for me since things move along quickly once you figure out the sequence of steps needed and how they differ from the similarly arduous (but different process of applying wet or dry lube to a chain and trying to keep it clean.

Neutral: 1) So far I cannot tell any significant difference in chain life. My last chain, a KMC ran pretty precisely and quietly but showed greater than 1% elongation on my Park Tools chain checker after only about 1,500 to 2,000 miles of use.

But I have digressed (once again). This thread was supposed to be about a skipping issue with a 9 speed cassette. I just watched a helpful 2 minute video from "RJ the bike guy" where he demonstrates the use of the Rohloff HG cog check tool. The use of the tool when seen demonstrated like this, is not really mystifying but instead fairly straight forward.