View Single Post
Old 05-22-19, 06:13 PM
drswift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This worked to remove a seatpost

The following worked for me. Al seatpost in steel frame. Pretty seized. Local bike shop tried and couldn't budge it.

Some of what I will describe goes against the advice here (Heating Aluminum), but it worked for me.

1. Got a handheld propane torch (~$25 from your local hardware store), a temperature gun to measure, and a two cans of compressed air from local dollar store.
  2. Removed the seat.
  3. Heated the seatpost up to about 500 deg (F), and a little bit of the top of the steel seat tube. Didn't really damage my paint much.
  4. Then, turning the can of compressed air upside down, used it to freeze the seatpost, and top of seat tube.
  5. I then whacked the top of the seatpost quite hard with a hammer, to drive it further into the frame, about half an inch, to break any "seal" of Al2O3. Add cutting oil (WD40) or ammonia while hammering the seatpost - this way the oil actually gets into your seattube...
  6. Repeat steps 2 & 4, if needed.
  7. It was a little loose now, for the first time I could twist the seatpost.
  8. To get better leverage, and avoid breaking my seat - I just wrapped - very very tightly - a long hank of 850 Paracord around the seat post - yes this will grip aliminum, if you clean the seatpost first with alcohol. (Can sand your seatpost if you are desperate)
  9. I then just tied a simple slipknot in the end of the paracord, and stuck a breaker bar in it, perpendicular to the seatpost, and that gave me plenty of leverage. (If you dont have a breaker bar, a simple metal-body hammer, or something else strong will do)
  10. I was then able to turn the seatpost full revolutions, breaking the seal, then work the seatpost out using a bit of elbow grease...

TL;DR: Use a cheap form of heat and cooling to expand and contract the metals, and a bit of impact, to break the seal.