Old 05-23-19, 09:21 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
i've not raced for many years, but I have to think tactics / strategy /etiquette is basically the same:

is this a 30 person, single file paceline? to me that would be strange in a race. I guess that would happen in the pro / 1/ 2s, but not the 3/4s. much more of a scrum in the 3/4 races.
or is it training? also strange as we would have done a double pace line. Then you pull off with your 'partner' and drift back and keep things orderly.
- so if it's a paceline, then just drift to the back and get back in line. If it's training, then your just being a menace trying to force your way into a paceline.
- if it's a race and you want off the front to take a break, then things are bunched up with people jockeying for position to stay out of the wind. So it should be OK to drift back 6 / 10 places and get in behind the bunch.
- - AND if it's a race you need to have a reason to be on the front - a specific purpose - don't waste your energy!
- are you blocking to slow the pack down for a team mate up the road?
- are you chasing a break because you have no team mate up the road?
- are you setting a team mate up for a sprint finish / prime' prize? - a have a freaking reason for being on the front.

Anyway - that's a worthless 2 cents from a retired CAT III - pack-fodder semi-nobody - (now, let's go figure out the most quite, casual, grumpy old man route to the coffee shop.....)

PS: if you're new to pacelines - please - please - keep the pace STEADY. I see the touristas do this all the time: # 1 guy pulls off to go back; #2 gal gives it an acceleration (for what?!?!); # 3 guy now has to accelerate to close the gap; # 4 'racer-Joe' now practically has to jump / sprint to close that gap - and now # 1 guy is sprinting after his pull to get on the back.
- if you want to speed up a paceline -that's fine. Wait for the rider that just pulled off to get on. Then SLOWLY speed up. VERY slowly so everyone can act / react.
OK - that's it. rant over. thanks.

Last edited by mrv; 05-23-19 at 09:25 AM. Reason: PS