View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 10:34 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
My experience, it's usually the cable. There's too much friction, I'm guessing. It could be the trigger or the indicator chain, but how is the shift cable routed?
The best shifting I have is with a metal cable guide pulley; the worst, cable housed all the way to the hub.
Originally Posted by BigChief
I agree. The clutch spring isn't very strong so the less friction you have from the cable, the better. That's why SA came up with the open cable/ guide wheel method. Even if the long housing to cable stop on the chain stay works, it always feels mushy to me.
You could also take the hub apart and stretch the clutch spring out some.
Originally Posted by gster
All of my bikes (current and past) have specific "personalities" with regards to the shifting.
Some snap sharply into place while others are more subtle...
The relationship between the trigger, cable and hub
is another trinity.
Any problems are usually traced to the cable.
Sometimes a small kink or some frayed wires.
I agree that the open cable/pulley system is best.
I also like the look better.
On my new (1954) bike I have the same issue.
It does not snap back to 3 but I haven't had a chance to
investigate. It looks like the original cable.
Also, the hub when spinning, is almost silent.
I don't hear that "Tickety Tick" sound.
It seems to work just fine.
The Armstrong has an open pulley shift cable, and new inner cables (shift & brake) in the original housings. It really feels like the trigger is hanging up. When it doesn't snap into 3rd from "N", I can barely force it there. Most of the time wiggling the trigger up and down allows it to go into position.