View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 11:26 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I have an aluminum seat post stuck in a chromoly frame and I am attempting to use the least invasive methods first for removing the post (I already hammered the seat crooked trying to break it free). I know that ammonia is supposed to loosen it right up, problem is I don't see any way how that ammonia is going to get down between seat post and seat tube to do the job. Is there a good way to apply ammonia in this particular case? I have used a spray bottle to get ammonia all over anything that might help but still no budging. I've done it several times and let it sit for some time and still no results. Can anybody enlighten me on HOW to use ammonia to get a seatpost off?

note: I realize there have been lots of threads on this subject, but none seem to adress how to apply the ammonia
If its not too deep in the frame, an other method is to saw it off at the collar, then take a hacksaw blade and gently saw it through lenghtwise from the inside. You can then "collapse" it enought to pull it out. Takes some patience, but unlike some og the usual "spray it with penetrating oil" ect. it does actually work.
Likes For Racing Dan: