View Single Post
Old 05-24-19, 12:41 AM
  #9  
masi61
Senior Member
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,056

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
That'll kill a cassette. Sounds like you need to replace your chains even sooner.

Your NOS Dura-Ace cassette will thank you.
Good advice to follow, thank you!!

I have an update: I swapped out my cassette for last night’s club ride for a SRAM PG-970 in the same ratio (12-23, nine speed) as the Ultegra 6500 I was having doubts about.

And guess what? The chain skipping issue was even worse! The biggest 4 cogs in the rear were slipping with even the slightest amount of torque being applied by my riding such as starting out from a red light or getting up out of the saddle to start a climb. I completed the club ride of 54 miles while seated and while concentrating on keeping my spin smooth as butter. My riding companions were somewhat patient with me, pulling ahead on the climbs as I dropped back then allowing me to carefully do seated accelerations to catch back up.

A bike shop shop owner is in our group so I asked him (while riding). His initial response was skepticism about my Taya chain. He said he always recommends Shimano chains for Shimano drivetrains.

But then he approached me again at the next mini re-grouping spot 6 miles further down the road (a country church). He was fixing his gaze on the loop of housing at the rear derailleur. “That loop is below your quick release nut, it’s too short” he said. “That short loop is pushing your derailleur forward slightly, I would cut a longer loop of housing to relieve that pressure” he said.

Thank God! Now we’re getting somewhere. After the ride was almost completed (51 miles already completed), I took the mini-tool out of my seat bag and loosened the rear derailleur slightly. Then I took my Philips screw driver and tightened down the “B” screw (I believe that’s what it’s called). I could see the upper pulley move rearward slightly. I re-tightened the derailleur Allen bolt and rode the last 4.5 miles home, still keeping my accelerations controlled. I don’t think I had any more slippages over those last 4.5 miles, an encouraging development.

While out on the ride I was bashing my own (gold) Taya Nove-91 chain, thinking that it had excessive slop for a new chain. It was certainly flexy side to side. So once home I had to check it with my Park Tools chain checker. It tested as new! Elongation was zero. I thought the chain was shifting well except for that gnashing, horrifying crunch I was getting on the climbs.

If you’re with me so far - thank you! My mechanical mysteries are often puzzles such as this. Tomorrow evening I plan to cut a new, longer loop of compressionless housing to the rear derailleur and outfit a new inner wire (since the one on there has been trimmed to fit the existing housing). I look forward to having my 3x9 road racing triple optimized so I can go to battle with my riding companions in the hill country near me once again.

Last edited by masi61; 05-24-19 at 07:12 AM.
masi61 is offline