View Single Post
Old 05-24-19, 01:50 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
You queried how far in miles would be the point that people hop in a car instead of taking other forms of transit.
You can't just 'hop in the car instead of taking other forms of transit." You have to buy a car, sign a contract indenturing you to years of payments, enroll in insurance and pay for that monthly as well, pay to fill the tank, change the oil, do or pay for other maintenance, and keep it clean.

It's a lot of effort and risk, not to mention risking life and limb driving around at speeds that can easily break bones. If people weren't programmed to ignore all these things in order to conform to the driving culture, there would be a lot to question.

My reply was an excerpt showing where pre WWII commutes usually had a limit of 1 hour no matter the method of transit. The car extended the mileage to work, but the one hour still holds for a person's commute time limit, in most cases.

I gave a personal example where 1.5 hours exceeded my limit, but 30 minutes was acceptable to me.

You followed up saying 30 minutes would likely be a bike/transit limit, so that matches my example.
I don't think you understood how specific my question was to M155. He said no one is required to drive and everyone is free to LCF. My reply was to ask at what point it can be said that someone is being coerced to drive by the distances they have to travel to work and shopping/errands? In other words, at what point is it reasonable to give in and submit to the driving-culture because to do otherwise is to fatigue yourself as a penalty for not?

Your mind reads and communicates different than mine. Your replies and my replies aren't on the same page. I can communicate with the others here much more clearly.
You should petition the mods to create a subforum for psychological analysis. I don't think you are the only person here would would like to discuss their assessments of others' minds.
Likes For tandempower: