View Single Post
Old 05-24-19, 08:31 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
One minor point first, and unrelated to your question. Once you have been diagnosed as having Diabetes Mellitus, you will always have it till the day you die. The better way to think of it in your current situation is that your diabetes is very "well controlled" and you do not need to take any prescription medicines to manage it.

Anyway, on taking statins...I was prescribed a statin to help control my then elevated level of cholesterol. As with you, the statin caused muscle pain in my legs. I felt "weak" and didn't feel I had any power when cycling. I asked my doctor to switch to a different statin and the muscle pain ceased.

When I was able to get my cholesterol under control, I wanted to quit taking it because of the well advertised side effects, (muscle pain), but my doctor strongly advised against it. Instead, I got one of those little 'pill cutters' and started cutting the pills in half. Since my cholesterol has continues to be "normal", he has since acquiesced to give me a 'half dose' pill so that I need not cut them in half anymore. (He wants me to continue taking a statin as a preventative measure for a well-documentated ancestral history of hypertension. Heart problems are known to run in the family tree since they first came to this country several hundred years ago.)

Since you are required to continue taking a statin, ask for another one, and possibly a small dosage.