Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 05-27-19, 06:52 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Sunday weigh-in was 253.4

I'll be heading back to NM in a few weeks to visit my family, and will bring my montague along. I plan to leave my car at my folks' house and just use the bike to get around.

Starting to get stuff together to freshen Jake up (2000 Kona Jake the Snake), and am realizing I seem to have gotten foggy on wrenching. That kinda sucks, as I used to be pretty decent at it. The Avid Shorty 10c canti brakes currently have the Kool Stop pads I installed over a decade ago, and they're hard as rocks. I don't see a model number on 'em, and IIRC, I'm needing to use the V-brake style, as that's the type of mounting post they have.
The cables had been re-done in the meantime, so I may just check them, but I do have brake and shifter cable handy if I need it.
I also had the BB replaced not many miles ago. I'll still want to check it and the headset.

Until I figure something more long-term for wheels, I think I may use the stock hoops from my LHT. They're heavier, but with nearly 40,000 miles on the cxp23 rims, I think it's safest to save up for some new ones. I may even find a new disc front fork and go Mullet.

After a few miles of gettin' back in riding shape, I'll figure out whether to keep Jake mostly as-is, retire him to the wall and buy a new bike, or strip 'im down to the frame and build Jake back up with newer componentry. I recreationally over-think things, so this is normal for me.

Last edited by velojym; 05-27-19 at 07:43 PM.