Old 05-27-19, 07:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I wouldn't do it with your hip replacement history. Get yourself some Five Ten Freeriders and some mountain bike pedals with pins and your feet will stick to the pedals way more than you might think. I use that combo on road and off--I ride a gravel bike primarily and tackle some pretty gnarly stuff fit for a mtb, and my feet never leave the pedals or shift unintentionally. I'm 58, and while I don't have a hip replacement, a falling over injury could really suck! I'm a musician and a broken hand/wrist would put me outta work. Granted, I've hit the dirt a few times trying something silly on the trail, but that's...different, somehow
Speaking of cool flat bar road/gravel bikes, I was just looking at this Niner--looks pretty darn nice: https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9-apex
I'm hooked on drops these days but I'd look at that rig if I was considering flat bar.

+ 1 on this. I like clipless a lot but there is a lot to be said for the mtb pedals with pins. I like them on my mountain bike, commuter, and touring bikes.