Thread: Finally! (?)
View Single Post
Old 05-28-19, 10:59 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I replaced the washers on my Montague's stem riser with proper spacers last night, and this morning took it on a short ride at Tannehill state park.
4.5 miles is all I did, but I don't want to overdo it right away. I'm down more than a hundred lbs from last Summer, and while I've been working my legs hiking, the more bike specific
stuff needs to be eased in.

It felt good, though.

When I was somewhere over 350 (scale limit), and tried to ride, I was miserable. Even getting moving on a flat road was a pain.
With the memory of how I used to fly down the road, this was disheartening, and I've been slow to get back on a bike even with some fairly extreme weight loss. I've hiked until my feet complained, then kept going. Now, my ischial tuberosities are gonna need to take some of that load, and I did a hybrid workout today: 4.5 miles on my bike, 4 miles on the same road/trail on Shank's Mare.
I don't expect the bike to be my only calorie roaster at first, so I'm throwing in some walking to make up the difference.

However, my sit bones didn't feel as badly as I'd expected (100 lbs will do that, I suppose), though I was on a fresh (not broken in yet) VO leather saddle, and hiking shorts with no chamois.
I can feel that my legs will need a little work, just to supplement the fitness they've gained over months of hiking and adapt to cycling, but that shouldn't be an issue at all.

I heard some creaking in the bike... after easing on several parts as I rode, I think it might be that stem riser. Now that I don't have a huge gut pushing up into my lungs, I think I need to find a shorter stem bolt, and pull the riser off... bringing the handlebar height back down to only slightly higher than factory. There's a lot of leverage on the steerer/headset. Once I've done that, I'll see if anything else on the bike is complaining.

Anyway, thought I'd toss this in here, and make the thread a little more relevant to the forum.