Old 05-29-19, 06:46 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BKE View Post
"Space Coast", not hard to figure where you are. I thought you might get more flack, (Wildwood tried 0) but then again "50 is the new 30" and you are just asking to be directed to the best place to handle your needs.

My 2 cents is that you must not get out much (see highlighted). Wife and I are looking for houses in that (HUGE) area to relocate, and GOOGLE regularly so I think it should suffice. If not, ask the local Soccer Moms. No doubt, they do "Out and back trips in the 100's"
Thanks for the input. I've come to the conclusion that nobody particularly understands what I'm asking and why, which is fine. Totally my responsibility. As someone says, it's impossible to write in such a way that nobody could possibly not understand. That said, that place RideWithGPS looks useful.

Space Coast - I live about 30 miles south of the Kennedy Space Center. Between the Atlantic and the swamp, is about 10 miles on a straight east to west line here but I could ride north/south forever. I'm about three miles from the Atlantic, on the mainland, and my typical ride takes me out as far west as I can go around this city.

The area, though, is like a fractal maze of neighborhood roads. A complication is that most of the neighborhoods don't connect to each other and that funnels traffic back onto the other roads. There are thousands of possible routes if I poke around. I'd like to have a handful of routes that aren't heavy vehicle traffic and allow me to get out for an hour to 90 minutes. More routes to minimize boredom. I could sit with a street map, scale, and dividers, and pick out routes, doing it all manually. OTOH, if I could get an online map, click on a bunch of spots get the total distance, undo, change the route, and do it with less effort, that sounds better.

My wife and I used to ride together as our main recreation. We'd ride every day after work (and nights from September through April or thereabouts) and usually both days of the weekend. A weekend might find us riding to KSC or down into the next county south. We were hit by a pickup truck on a bright, sunny morning back at New Year's of 2000. Dec. 30, 1999 to be exact. I got lucky and walked out of the ER four hours later, but she had incredibly intricate surgery and was in the hospital and rehab hospital for a month. We got back on our bikes by April and continued to ride until somewhere around 2011 - I think - then just kinda stopped. Just bored with it, I guess. Last summer, I got interested in getting back on the bike and have been riding since about the end of August. She has not been interested in riding again so it's something I do by myself.

When you say you're planning on relocating here, about where are you looking? Or does the exact city matter much?