View Single Post
Old 05-30-19, 04:56 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: 00' Pinarello Opera, 16' Surly Cross Check, 82' Motobecane jubile sport, 85' Moser Supersprint, 80' Mercier Formule 1, 72' Peugeot AO8, 70' Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18 View Post
Also a 2x11 drivetrain will easily add three or four pounds to the overall weight.
?? A old NR 2x drivetrain barely adds 2 lbs. The other 1-2 lbs must be the extra links in the chain.

Originally Posted by berner View Post
Not yet mentioned, in this era of the need for sustainability, is the fact that steel and even aluminum frames can be recycled. I wonder if anyone else has noticed how most everything we buy comes in packaging that is then thrown away. Half of what we but is trash and the other half becomes trash soon thereafter.
This ^^^ So if you have a carbon frame you are killing baby seals and warming the globe !

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Steel is like butter, man.
You wouldn't catch Julia Child without it.
Sorry, that was sherry she wouldn't be without. But not the cheap cooking kind.

Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales View Post
What is with the fascination? . . . but why is this the thing now? . . . But aren't they a bit heavy too?
With everyone trying to be light and go carbon.. Im seeing so much "Steel is Real"
Personally, I really don't care what the bicycle is made of as I have had them all. I stopped riding my carbon bike after injuries made me ache when riding for any prolonged period of time. I have aluminum mountain bikes that do their jobs well. For me, no other bicycle I have had gave my as much pleasure to ride as certain steel ones I keep going back to. They are nearly as light as my last carbon road bike, handle just as well given my abilities, are compliant enough to not cause me pain on rough roads, and I find them to be incomparably beautiful.

All this being said the adage holds true - you get what you pay for.

I most of this thread is pure opinion and I hope in good fun.