Old 05-30-19, 09:51 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
We had a Motobecane in our shop for a tune up about 18 months ago with Ultegra kit. Nice kit and it looked beautiful. The owner said he could not get it to shift well. We spent about 2 hours trying to tune it and eventually had to go back a step and check the last resort things. We pulled out the frame alignment tools and started to measure. It turned out the front wheel and back wheel and crank all were on non-parallel planes. It was essentially impossible to fine tune it. You could even site down the bike and see the wheels were out of parallel. It was a carbon fork so we could not bend the fork to align it with the back. And it was not possible to make the bottom bracket axis parallel with the rear axle. We sent it back to the owner as is and no charge as we could not get it to work properly. Maybe you get lucky and get a straight one, maybe you don't...
The first part of the story...fine, maybe the owner of the bike had previously crashed it, or maybe the bike came from the factory way out of spec. It could happen.

But the last bit (that I bolded)? Your actual conclusion is that since you saw ONE bike with alignment problems (the cause of which remain unknown, since you didn't see the bike when it shipped from the factory, only when a customer brought it to you) that everyone should avoid the bikes? I've seen a Cannnondale with a BB that was impossible to prevent creaking; I've seen a Trek with a defective isocoupler thingamajig; I've seen a Specialized with defective dropouts....but it would never occur to me to log on to internet message boards and say to people, "well, I guess you could buy a Trek/C'dale/Specialized, but you'd have to just get lucky to get a good one."

Ridiculous.