View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 08:04 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Having lower bars allows you to ride in a lower position with straighter arms, something that works better for going fast over long distances. It allows you to have straighter arms while descending - this reduces stress on your elbows. It allows you to sprint in a more aerodynamic position.

So essentially - a lower bar position facilitates a low torso angle better than a higher bar position. What you need to ask is “how often am I riding with a low torso?”. If you are frequently bending your elbows like crazy or climbing in the drops, chances are that you’d be more comfortable with a lower bar position.

If your question is “why should I ride with a lower torso angle?”, there are 3 reasons. First one, obviously, is aerodynamics. Lower torso angle usually means you’re catching less wind. The second reason is cornering. The flatter your back is, the more weight on the front wheel, and the less risk you face of your front wheel washing out in a corner. The last reason is counterweight. The more you lean forward and take weight off your butt, the more weight you can theoretically put on the pedals. This helps push down on the pedals.
Think most folks would say it's best not to ride with straight arms. I'd never suggest lowering the bars so I can lock my elbows in a straight position. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but don't want to get folks thinking they should set up the bike to ride with straight arms.