Old 06-01-19, 11:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Get a model where the bikes are upright without the front wheel needing to be removed, Yakima HighRoad or equiv. and that clamps the F wheel/tire and secures it.

Avoid models that have an arm that clamps to the bike downtube as you cannot use that with a carbon frame.

The "trays" that have the F wheel removed and clamps the fork are usually designed for quick release forks only and you need at $50 adapter to use a 15/100 thru axle fork. And if you don't want the front wheel(s) in the vehicle, you need wheel holders with are $70 each. As well I thought I would save money and get the less expensive Thule Circuit tray and found the method of installing the front QR clamp to the cross bar is a really dumb design that is just a PITA to install.

Other than that, whatever fits your vehicle, Yakima, Thule, RockyMount, all good. I've found that Rack Warehouse has prices that are almost as good as when REI has there sale, which ended 5/27.

Or check Craigslist, folks are always selling older racks and cross bars, all you then need is the particular foot kit/adapter for the vehicle. Thule and Yakima stuff lasts forever, so buying used is a good bargain.