View Single Post
Old 06-02-19, 11:51 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My wife is visually impaired and relies on me for virtually everything. We're both in our mid 50s and have been married 35 years. She was always a homebody and I was always one to be outside doing things. Oftentimes she would feel neglected. Then the day came when our oldest son left for college and very shortly thereafter, our youngest left for basic training. Empty nesters in about 3 months and it was a very difficult transition. We eventually overcame though.

Originally Posted by DT Tandem
My wife and I are empty nesters as well. What took 2 years to talk her into was a tandem. Once she tried it she loved it and it is how we spend time together.
It may not be for everyone but is definitely worth a try.
Good luck to both of you.
Tandems are called marriage wreckers as well as marriage savers. There is a common joke about tandems that they will help a marriage get to where it is headed faster. When we went on our first tandem ride, we knew that iot was for us in the first 1/4 mile.
Some of the things that you mentioned with your wife are similar to mine. Her vision is poor and she does ride her own bike in certain instances but she really enjoys riding on the tandem with me. I control the shifting, braking, steering, etc... and all she needs to do is pedal and enjoy. Group rides are fun for her as she will chat with others without haveing to worry about colliding or hitting anyone. Our first few descents were frightening for her but she has gotten accustomed to them and trusts in my abilities to keep us upright and safe. We recently got our mountain tandem out on some gravel and jeep trails in our local mountains and she was tentative the first few bouncing descents.

Hope you can find something that works for the both of you.