Old 06-03-19, 02:06 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
I think we can agree on two obvious axioms related to this question :
First one is that cars are machines that, besides transporting people, represent a real threat to other road users.
The moment we delegate the responsibility of controlling a killing machine to an obscure algorithm totally lacking the ability to empathize with a human being or understand and predict his behaviour, we are de facto deliberately submitting ourselves to an absolute and anonymous control that's beyond the influence and understanding of normal humans.
The second point is that currently danger on our roads stems mainly from human irresponsibility. The real issue here is how to educate our children and adults to become responsible citizens. Substituting a problem with another problem is certainly no the simplest way to proceed.
I always feel strongly skeptical when i have to deal with a "safety" argument : it has been misused too often to let our fears hinder our rational thinking on this matter. We all remember how mass surveillance programs and military invasions have been enforced for security concerns.
Let's teach children responsibility instead of filling their heads with useless dates and obsolete formulae.. Replacing people with robots has nothing to do with improving safety on our roads, that's just marketing and manipulating the public opinion.
Safety arguments? Useless dates? obsolete formulae? So no crafts of argumentation or logic, no history (it's rather more than dates, doncha know?), and no quantitative physical science? Perhaps you want education to be limited to the crafts and manual farming? Quilting, sewing, cooking, plowing, carpentry, etc?When you no longer have computers that function, because the next generations can't maintain any equipment more sophisticated than the bellows needed by the local blacksmith, how will you type on the Internet?