View Single Post
Old 06-03-19, 06:43 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I picked up a 2015 CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc back in April (feels like February or March it's been so long) when it was, naturally, still cold and wet. I may be in my 30s, but I come from restoring and building many a C&V steed, vintage Cannondales included. Black Inc. seems to me to be the second coming of the "Black Lightning" black/gold color scheme, just spread to more models. I really freaking dig it. I was looking at going to a disc bike for my next build to expand my horizons and see what the fuss was about, especially with regard to braking performance in the rain, which, as anyone who commutes year round in the northern states/rainy areas can tell you, braking in the rain is no fun. Add in the steep hills and busy city traffic in and around Seattle, and it's critical to be able to haul yourself down in a hurry, with confidence.

Well, I figured 11-speed would be part of the deal, and it was. Along with internal cable routing, hydraulic disc (on top of just a "disc brake" criteria), and BB30. The learning curve looked more like a cliff to climb! This was especially true as I would be doing all the research and leg work to figure out, source, purchase (used components only, minus tubes, chain), and build the bike. And well, after many months, including a brief summer hiatus as I worked to obtain the correct brake calipers (mountain bike style 74mm center-to-center, M6 bolt interface **post mount** BR-RS785, NO banjo bolt), I was able to sell other bike parts and fully fund this build. The goal was to fund it and have an a la carte build for a fraction of a full-zoot Sram Red 22 Hydro Disc CAAD10 Black. Mission accomplished on all fronts, even if I did take the bike to a good shop to hook up, fill, and bleed the hydraulic brake lines. I did the final assembly and bedding-in of the brake pads+rotors. This brace of modern tech (on top of plenty of 7/8/9/10-speed build experience prior) was daunting and with a good bit of money and time into it, a little intimidating.

Thankfully, the bedding in went well (I followed the directions), though certainly very interesting to have to do! The following test ride (a 3.7 mile loop) went very well. This CAAD is certainly a 'platform' in that it is very stable and sweeps and surges upon intentional steering and out-of-the-saddle acceleration/climbing efforts. Due to the low-cut steerer, my saddle-to-bar height drop is the most extreme of all my rides, but it looks great and is comfortable. This is a bike you can ride for a long time, and although it is the start of eternal rain up here, I still want to get it out every chance I can. Such a great bike!!

2015 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc. Disc - 63cm

HT: 73.5° ST: 72.0°
Weight as pictured ~19.2 lb with SPD (mountain type, not very light) pedals as I commute and enjoy walking around normally.
Shimano Ultegra or Ultegra level - 6800 generation -
Shimano ST-RS685 11-speed hydraulic brake/shift units
Crankset: Ultegra 175mm length, mid-compact 52-36T
Cassette: 11s 11-28T Ultegra with Ultegra FD and RD (long cage)
DT Swiss Spline 23 wheelset with centerlock disc mounts, Schwalbe One 700x28mm tires
BR-RS785 brake calipers - post mount (mountain bike standard - 74.02mm +/- spacing, M6 bolt)
Shimano ST-99 discs (Ice Tech with Freeza) 160mm F, 140mm R - front adapter: Shimano SM-MA-F180P/P2 (a 20mm spacer for going from 160mm to 180mm calipers, but works properly here)
PRO stem 105mm - Giant Contact SL compact bars 42cm CTC
Zipp seat post, Fizik Aliante Large (155mm width) saddle, Specialized Ribcage bottle cages (bought new years ago).

So. Hot.

Great looking bike. At 19.2lbs that probably gives my 61 Roubaix carbon a run for its money. I like that sir.