View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 07:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
My wife has her first solo therapy session this Wednesday. We do vacation alone as a couple twice a year. We mutually enjoy hiking in national or state parks, and we've been doing that for the last three or four years. Sometimes she will also come to my conferences or out of town meetings and spend the evenings together. We travel very well together, whether it's for family, work or vacation. We are going hiking in a Tennessee state park for the Independence Day extended weekend. We also have a wedding in New Hampshire in August and will extend the trip with one of our daughters and my sister-in-law to Acadia National Park in Maine.
This is great!

Your wife is fortunate to have such a loving husband who continues to show understanding and support during a most difficult period of her life. By doing this you are actually making it easier for her to get well. You are to be commended, sir.

Continue to support, but whatever you do, don't try to "fix" her. She has to do her own work. Continue to show love and understanding as you've been doing to help pave her way. You are wise to realize that making demands or slapping your wife into reality is not going to help her, or get you the results you desire.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
Yes. I agree that this is worse for my wife than it is for me. She was very close to her mother and still is with our daughters. We have had other difficult times in the past, and at least one of them was DEFINITELY my fault. I can get resentful, but then I will take a reality check and focus on being as supportive as I can be in that moment. I definitely don't do it flawlessly, but I try. We are committed to making it work and eventually get around to doing the work required.
It is admirable of you to take ownership of your part in this. Commitment is the key to working out marriage issues, so it's great to hear you both have that. Hang in there BMB, once you and your wife get through this period you'll have an even stronger and more loving relationship! (and only your legs will be limiting your biking!)

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 06-04-19 at 07:23 AM.