Old 06-04-19, 11:02 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Seems reasonable. You'd need diagnostic imaging equipment to properly inspect a carbon fiber frame.
Exactly, if you want to do it right and guarantee the bike is sound to ride on. A bike shop doesn't want to be held liable for passing a CF bike that may have had hidden damage, and it's quite possible the insurance company is telling the shop NOT to inspect CF frames anymore because of that liability risk. So the shop refers them to the manufacture, usually, or at least I would think, that the manufacture would either send out a marketing rep to get the bike or have the shop send it by mail.

Not that long ago I bent a steel fork when a car hit me and I hit a curb, years ago some bike shops had frame and fork jigs you could take a damaged steel bike to and they they would put the bike back into shape again, well guess what? shops no longer are doing that kind of work because of liability concerns! So now a steel bike, aluminum, titanium and CF bikes will all be thrown out nowadays. I knew several people years ago got steel bike frames and forks bent back and they never had any problems with the bike, but those days are gone, we live in a very litigious world so we throw everything away instead of taking a risk of repairing it.