View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 07:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by rugbyant
Damn... a man of logic. My wife will love you :-)

I agree with all of that. Average speed is around 28kph for the 90km distance. I would like to get to +35kph. I don't tend to ride in aero position, and did not go for tri bars added to bike - this is mainly due to not being comfortable in a tucked position (fitness and flexibility).

I did suffer with 10 spd rear not having enough to spin on the large climb, but it was only 1 climb I struggled with - rest of the ride I had enough with the 2 x 10spd. The last tri, I did end up with numbness in my left hand, and have not have a full bike fit, bit have had a bike measure.

I wanted to go for a new bike, because, I wanted to upgrade, have 11 spd, and have a shiny new toy. But, now the question should be, do I need to do it now. I guess get better on what I have and then move on.
In 2014 at age 64 during my 2nd Ironman Florida in the 112 mile bike section the use of bolt on tri-bars on my Giant Propel allowed me to ride the distance non-stop. Just 2 weeks ago I rode a local 151 miles with the first 100 completed with only one stop around the 72 mile mark. That ride was on my 2018 Roubaix Expert mechanical with bolt on tri-bars.

Getting used to them was not an issue with me since at that time some 10-15 year's ago I had severe shoulder issues and needed the relaxed position for longer rides.
Likes For OldTryGuy: