View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 11:52 AM
pedex 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower View Post
I understand that ride-share platforms exist and that they coordinate rides using algorithms that match ride-seekers with potential ride-givers.

I also understand that currently, there is no way for a driver to use his or her own vehicle to go to a destination without making his or her vehicle unavailable for further rides.

I also understand there are car-sharing platforms and rental car platforms that allow drivers to share vehicles

What is missing from the market is a platform that combines ride-sharing with driver/car-sharing within the same integrated platform.

If Uber doesn't fill that gap, someone else will eventually. There is just no reason to block IT and smartphone technology from facilitating forms of transportation sharing that hold immense potential to reduce congestion by overcoming limitations of current public transit systems.

The only reason these things are having trouble getting off the ground is because of aggressive reactions in favor of the status quo because of fears that change could have negative economic effects.

How long can such reactionary forces suppress technological possibilities? Forever? If so, is that the kind of world you want to live in?
1. No, no algorithm needed, they are sent out to whoever is in the area and responds to the request for service. This has been explained to you before. All you get is a pick up point, no destination most of the time and that is subject to change. The billing company will use algorithms for billing sometimes but not dispatching. It could be done with a destination included but it really doesn't help much.
2. incorrect
3. yet you don't seem understand how any of this works
4, there has to be a viable market for it, there isn't one and even Uber is failing at an old model that does work when done correctly
5. the results of road building and traffic in the US and other nation indicates congestion won't change at all
6. ya, losing $$ tends to keep things from happening, economics is funny that way
7. Longer than you can learn to quit being so repetitive and verbose. My world? It doesn't matter.

Best way to learn what I am talking about is go drive for Uber or Lyft for a week or two. None of it works the way you assume or think.