View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 10:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by army14
I am smart enough to realize that when a guy, who has given as much advice about this area suggests 101 to Refugio to Foxen, that is exactly what I'll do. I've done Gibraltar and the 33 o the summit out of Ojai. I'm fat and old but I'll just keep pedaling. The grocery store has been my last stop a couple of times, I was glad I stopped before heading on to Lompoc along the 1. I'm still debating if I will appreciate my 23's for the first 80 miles, or will I wish I had gone 25 or 28 for Refugio. maybe i will split the difference and go 25 for the whole thing.

My 2015 trip to Solvang and last time I did the 154. https://www.strava.com/activities/326252575

I plan on doing See canyon and Prefumo out of Avila Beach and maybe a later trip to Lake Lopez.

Thanks for the help.
you're welcome. quiet roads demand more intel.

harris grade north of lompoc riding into orcutt is fun as an alternative vs foxen canyon but it sounds like you may have done that before.

see canyon and prefumo are on the list but last time i was up there, i only had a few hours to ride.

most intriguing ride in the semi-nearby area to me (besides the jalama beach burger ride which i haven't done yet) is the one from santa maria/orcutt/casmalia south/southwest to point sal beach state park
via brown rd. road was closed this april when i rolled out there heading south from the 1 and i could see roadwork in progress. local intel says the road is beat all to hell. still curious. no access from the south
without appropriate military clearance. i tried but the old, closed road was uber-overgrown and not navigable.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-06-19 at 04:11 AM.