Old 06-07-19, 01:40 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
I ride a single speed with only one brake, and I don’t wear a helmet. I’ve ridden this bike at night, wearing all black and while wearing earbuds in both ears. But I do have a 3k lumen front light and a 400 lumen rear, so maybe it’s a wash? I suppose when I’m flattened into the Georgia blacktop by a driver that ‘didn’t see me’ as they were running me over in the far right side of the slow lane, going 20+ mph over the speed limit, I’ll know for a second or two wether I was always being unsafe.
I'm almost impressed.

No helmet, okay, there's a bit of danger there, I'll grant you that. But a single speed isn't fast enough. That's why I have 22...more danger! Plus, all the shifting is distracting...even more danger.

I will say that I applaud your single brake, though it's probably not disk, so that obviously lowers the danger quotient. It does make me wonder if I should remove one of the disk brakes on my bikes. On the one hand...lighter weight, less wind drag...more speed=more danger. But on the other hand...half the number of meat slicer-sharp disks=less danger. So, it's probably a wash.

I do wear black shorts. In the winter I wear black pants with a black jacket. I guess I should edit my OP.

Yes, a 3k lumen front light is so bright it probably offsets the other dangers. Kind of like eating a candy bar with a Diet Coke. No brainer, really.

-Matt