Old 06-08-19, 06:10 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Well, actually, it's a mineral. Straight outta the Earth. If it were a food, the label "natural" would be applied to the box or bag it came in.

The danger is not that it's a fiber that can not be broken down, it's a fiber that when it breaks down it does so by halving in length. Then that half halves. The halving continues until the theoretical limit of individual disks 1 molecule thick. The cancer danger is from when those halves get small enough to enter cell & cause havoc with the cells normal processes. Literally cutting up the RNA & jumbling the instructions the cell uses to do it's living things.

Other fibers generally stay together or split lengthwise & being long, they can thus be passed, caught, moved along, etc, where ever they need to go.

Asbestos' unique structure is why it works so good as an insulation. Thermal energy is not transferred along the fibres length.

Mesothelioma is a heck of a cancer. Watch someone die from it sometime.

As a person that has extensive experience machining carbon fiber structure: Your claim about carbon fiber is baseless.

Your claim about Chinese workers, if it has any merit at all would have more to do with solvent exposure, environmental controls, and attrition.

(Assuming you are kidding, usually you seem reasonably smart. I urge you to not double down on this.)
I actually read somewhere credible that the average life of the common chinese carbon worker was 3 years. before they were done pretty much.

I have a feeling though that carbon fibers is just as cancer inducing as the rest. Better safe than sorry imo. working with fibers. get a vacuum cleaner that sucks out all crap asap. at the spot. the worst thing about this is that we can't really test on ourselves. I stay away myself. I'm not gonna try to prove it either way.