Old 06-10-19, 09:02 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
A good post except for one thing. If you look closely at a gear inch calculator, you will find the biggest difference between, say, a 10 or 11 speed cassette and an 8 gear cassette is in how closely spaced the bigger gears are, and almost no difference in the spacing of the lower gears. Add to that the fact that the 10 and 11 speed cassettes are more often than not paired with a double chainring while the 8 and 9 speeds are paired with a triple chainring and you will discover that a well chosen 3 x 8 or 3 x 9 is MORE useful for big climbs than is a 2 x 10 or 2 x 11. The reason for this is, when you are suffering up a steep climb, you are using the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the back of the cassette.

So comparing the typical 2 x 11 with a compact double to the typical 3 x 8 hybrid with a triple, the lowest 4 gear combinations on the 2 x 11 are 28.7, 32.8. 36.7 and 41.7. On the 3 x 8 triple with the smaller chainring, the 4 smallest gears are 21.9, 25, 29, and 33. As you can see, the spacing between the 4 lowest gears is about the same on the 8 and 11 speed options, while the gearing is significantly lower on the 8 speed option, paired with a triple chainring. The choice for a person having to deal with big hills should be obvious. The 3 x 8, hands down.
So again, pardon my ignorance as I'm just getting back into cycling, but here's what I'm seeing.

Here is a pic of the cassette from the loaner bike that I have right now:

I'm seeing a huge difference between the 2nd gear and the largest 1st gear (the one that says Megadrive Super-Low 34T). I'm using 1st and 2nd gear numbering because that's how they're numbered on the shifters...and also how I'm used to thinking about gears as it relates to cars.

And here is a picture I took of the cassette from Trek's website for the FX S6 (again, mine hasn't arrived so apologies for taking a picture from a computer screen).

There seems to be much less size differentials between the lowest gears

In fact it looks like they fit potentially two more gears in the lower picture between the gap that 1st and 2nd gear of the upper picture. It almost looks like the loaner I have have home jumps from 1st to 4th gear (in diameter size) when compared to the 11 gear cassette in the lower picture.

Or do I have things totally backwards?