Old 06-10-19, 02:41 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe my point was too subtle--the predictions were sentient AI within 5 years. Neither the predictions of the timeline nor the actual emerging technology were correct.
Well, "sentient AI in 5 years" is a prediction I've never heard. But I have sat in enough panels with program directors and coders activley working on the problem to know that is the end goal if they could actually define what sentience intelligence is.

At the time I attended panels at the conventions "Deep Learning" was what the coders were working on...Probably 5-7 years ago. Now deep learning is a business model of everything from Zip Recuiter to Flickr to Facebook to Snapchat.

Here is an article I just found that summarizes quite nicely Guide to AI

In anycase, a car having an existential crisis about it's purpose in life & it not being able to fulfill it's purpose like the "smart" bomb in the movie DarkStar. I just thought was funny. Can you imaging having a philosophy discussion about the meaning of existance with your car everytime you tried to go, stop, park, do anything?...Ha!

Let's hope that will always be 5 years away!