Old 06-12-19, 06:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I run wire-bead blackwall Paselas and they work way better than they have any right to - especially since they came on a $9.99 clunker challenge bike from a couple of years back! My Normandy Luxe Competition hubs have scored cones as well, and initially I thought I would just run them until I found something better - but they're ridiculously smooth running, and sometimes even I know enough to leave well enough alone.

Is there a single groove between the threaded portion of the rear hub and the flange on that side? If memory serves me, that groove is an indicator that the hub is threaded ISO/English rather than French.
There are no markings on the hub or freewheel. Sutherlands is pretty good on this and it says that some atom freewheels are marked with a punch mark on the back in which case they're English. So I'm not confident that the hub/freewheel is French or not.

I guess I can use a bottom bracket cup to check the hub threading:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

I find that the teeth on Japanese freewheels are a better shaped than on the older European ones but the atom freewheel uses a nice splined remover like the Shimanos do which is better than the 2 or 4 prong designs.