Old 06-12-19, 07:28 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My question is why do you have the bike at all? Why not just hitchhike to your destination? In my younger days, I did a lot of hitchhiking- it was fun and adventuresome. The key to getting rides is to make yourself as less threatening as possible. Thus, I always had most success if I had a sign that indicated to the motorist that I had a specific destination and wasn't just "thumbing" a ride. A backpack also indicated that I was a young kid on an adventure and not some random dude looking for a free ride. Also, you need to hitchhike the interstates where people are going greater distances. Secondary roads will just get you town to town, etc. So, you need to hitchhike on ramps so you are legal but down the ramp far enough so that travelers on the highway can still see you as well. Since you have a bike, you need to specifically target pickups. A bike might actually be an advantage (like a my backpack) because it makes you less threatening- you are a young guy on an adventure who has had some misfortune with his bike that people may want to help. One other tip, is approaching a pickup owner at a gas station or restaurant, etc. at interchange. Explain politely your situation and that you will ride in the bed of the truck with your bike. Once again, non-threatening.