Old 06-12-19, 07:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I really dislike your concept. Ride the bike or don't take it. Don't create a stigma around bike touring. I have hitch hiked across the country once and have ridden across the country a couple times and done other long tours. Combining the two is a bad idea in my opinion.

That said, when I needed a ride or someone I was with did due to illness, injury, or mechanical issues we never had trouble getting one. Where there was less traffic more of the traffic was likely to stop and help. If there were 3 cars per day most of them would stop.

I have also hitched rides to make connections on backpacking trips, again no problems getting rides on remote roads, but that was always in backpacking country. Around places like Yosemite I usually was picked up by the first or second car. I consider this a legit strategy. Just me, but hitch biking I don't unless it is something you do only when you NEED to. Is that what you plan to do?

The TA would be as good of a place to catch rides while touring as anywhere in my experience.

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-12-19 at 07:36 AM.