robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My contribution to the thread: 1986/1987 Novara Trionfo with Claris R2000

I found this frame literally in the trash in our complex, and couldn't let it die like that. It's, from what I can gleen from the internet, a 1986 or 1987 Novara Trionfo. Tange 1 frame and Tange unicrown fork. Originally, it had some very worn out 1050 era 105 equipment. I bought a wheel set with Claris hubs and then put a full Claris R2000 group on it. The only wear part that it original is the butter smooth 105 threaded headset. Nitto bars and stem. Seatpost and saddle are garbage and will probably be the next piece I replace but I'm not in a hurry. This thing rides amazingly!

Modern Claris and Sora stuff makes these types of conversions extremely simple and not very expensive. It won't impress many people, but it breathes new life into old frames like this. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I'm only a few hundred bucks into this and yet it is cheaper than a new Claris-level road bike with an infinitely classier and higher quality frame than you could ever buy for $400-$500 these days.

Finished product

Much better brakes, and the R2000 cable routing and style make it look much higher end

8 speed full Claris drivetrain. MKS Urban Platform pedals with MKS cages and Zefal(maybe? Can't remember) leather straps.

A comparison from when I first found it, after I put a new rear wheel on to get it safely ridable.

Last edited by robyr; 06-12-19 at 11:11 PM.